About the Header
We are so happy with our lovely new custom header, which went through a lot of concept ideas and sketches with our illustrator until we settled on this design. It was important to us that the imagery captured our deep love for books, as well to set a certain tone for the blog.
Here are some fun facts about the process, which I thought you might enjoy:
- We asked that the book the girl is reading to be made thicker.
- There were four different colors for the book.
- We made the girl take her shoes off. (Um–K wanted her to be naked, actually.)
- The bird spying over her shoulder changed positions at least three times.
- We reluctantly got rid of a very clever fox that I loved, because both K and Kate said (rightly so) that there’s something quite magical about the deer lying next to a girl who’s lost in her book.
Did you know, by the way, that The Midnight Garden is named after Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce? I always loved the fact that he discovered so many wonderful and mysterious things after dark, and here on this blog we celebrate the books that keep us up reading late, late, late into the night.
The header was designed by (redacted–I no longer recommend this designer), and we hired Ashley from Creative Whim to do the move since I was much too chicken to do it myself. They were both very patient with our many questions and requests, and we had a great time working with them.
Everyone at The Midnight Garden is going to be working on updating our old posts, so we appreciate your patience as we gradually prettify our older posts and get used to this new platform. I’d like to thank Kate especially for her incredible support throughout this process, critically, financially, and beyond. She’s an amazing asset to our team and we’re so pleased to have her on board.
We have so much to be thankful for right now, and a big part of that is YOU. We appreciate our readers so much, and I’ve been saving up an amazing batch of books to give away as part of our celebration of all the wonderful things we have going on.
This giveaway is for a $10 The Book Depository gift for our international friends. For US blog readers, the prizes are for your choice of one YA bundle, which includes the following upcoming and new releases:
- Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano
- The 100 by Kass Morgan
- The Fury by Alexander Gordon-Smith
- Blackout by Robison Wells
- Sorrow’s Knot by Erin Bow
- Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox
- Shadows of Glass by Kassy Taylor
- Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts
- Snakeroot by Andrea Cremer
- Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton
- Indigo by Gina Linko
- Bubble World by Carol Snow
- Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
- Invisible by Marni Bates
- How to Love by Katie Cotugno
- Where Beauty Lies by Elle & Blair Fowler
- Truth or Dare by Jaqueline Green
- Famous Last Words by Jennifer Salvator Doktorski
- QB1 by Mike Lupica
- Anatomy of a Single Girl by Daria Snadowsky
- Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky
- Red by Alison Cherry
Isn’t that an amazing batch of books? That’s 22 books total (a mix of ARCs and pretty hardcovers), plus we’re giving away a gift order to The Book Depository to one of our international readers!
1. Fill out the Rafflecopter form.
2. Leave a comment below telling us what country you’re in and which titles you’re excited about.
3. We’d also appreciate your feedback on what features you enjoy here at The Midnight Garden. What are we doing right? What would you like to see more of? Let us know!
Here’s how this works: One international winner will be chosen, who may choose a $10 book from The Book Depository. We will then choose 3 U.S. winners from the comments below for one of the 3 book bundles. If you are open to receiving any one of the three bundles, or more than one, your chances of winning obviously increase. Simple as that!
Open internationally to readers aged 18 and older, or 13 and older with parental permission. See entry form for complete rules. Good luck!
Our thanks to our friends at Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Little Brown BFYR, Macmillan Teen, Simon & Schuster, Harper Teen, Penguin Teen, Random House, Flux, and K Teen for supplying the books for this giveaway.